Moses Jacob graduated from the veterinary medical department of the University of Pennsylvania in 1899. He held the highest rank in the class of ’99 and was the recipient of the J. B. Lippincott Award. He served as resident surgeon in the veterinary hospital of the University of Pennsylvania from 1899 to 1900, and then … Continued
In October 2008 the board of trustees formally adopted the recommendation of the College of Business to name the new building on the site of the former Glocker Business Administration Building for James A. Haslam II, rather than retaining the original name. The facade of the original building was retained, and the Glocker Wing of … Continued
Joe Crafton, a 1984 graduate of the College of Business, made a $1 million gift to the college in 2010 in commemoration of which the college named the terrace of the building the Crafton Family Terrace. Crafton was president of CROSSMARK, a leading provider of services to the consumer goods industry. He made his gift … Continued
Mike West and his wife Tiffiny, both 1989 College of Business graduates, donated $1 million to support technology in the Haslam Business Building in 2008. To commemorate the gift, the college named the special-purpose room in the building the West Wing.
In 1988 the lecture hall in the Earth and Planetary Sciences Building was named the James G. Walls Lecture Hall in honor of retired professor Walls.
The project to edit the papers of US President James K. Polk moved from Vanderbilt to UT in 1987 to join the editing projects of the papers of Tennessee’s other two US presidents, and the Tennessee Presidents Center was formed.
The 1983 addition to the Philander P. Claxton Education Building (62,129 square feet, dedicated in 1984) was called Claxton Addition until May 31, 2007, when it was renamed the Jane and David Bailey Education Complex. Built at a cost of $4.2 million and designed by Weeks and Ambrose, the building houses components of the College … Continued
The West Dwelling House, which became known as the Janney Building, was completed in 1842 as a professor’s house, along with the East Dwelling House. In 1871 the trustees leased the West Dwelling House to M. W. Janney and the East Dwelling House to A. K. Foster. Janney and Foster were to offer food service, … Continued
Bennett Jared, son of prosperous Putnam County (Rock Springs) farmer Joe Jared, was a football team substitute in 1915 and expected to be a starter the next year. He had scored two touchdowns in UT’s 101-0 win over Carson-Newman. In the second quarter of the October 30 game against Vanderbilt at Dudley Field in Nashville, … Continued
In the mid-1970s UT Knoxville began presenting engraved Jefferson Cups in recognition/thanks for such activities as being chair of the Chancellor’s Associates or making the commencement speech. Shortly after Jack Reese became chancellor, he identified a need for some sort of “official gift”—something nice, not extravagant—that could be personalized and that was distinctive. While visiting … Continued
Recent NewsMore News
- Pendergrass Library to Close for Two Weeks Beginning May 23, 2022
- Students and UT Libraries Award Faculty for Using Open Educational Resources
- Neurodiversity: Panel Discussion, May 5
- Digitization Project to Preserve Senate Recordings from the 1950s and ’60s
- UT Libraries and The Wall Street Journal Partner to Bring Sponsored Memberships to Campus
- For Your Reference: Final Episode of Second Season Airing April 21
- Lecture and Book Signing: Modern Appalachian Topography
- History and Academic Mentorship - For Your Reference streams March 17 at 7:00 p.m.