The 1983 addition to the Philander P. Claxton Education Building (62,129 square feet, dedicated in 1984) was called Claxton Addition until May 31, 2007, when it was renamed the Jane and David Bailey Education Complex. Built at a cost of $4.2 million and designed by Weeks and Ambrose, the building houses components of the College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences. Rouse Construction Company was the general contractor for the project. One hundred eighty parking spaces were lost to construction, as well as two 18-inch hackberry trees, one 18-inch and one 20-inch hickory tree, and one 20-inch oak tree.
The Baileys had been longtime supporters of the college. In 2003 they created the Bailey-Lattimore scholarships for teachers, and in 2004 they created the Top Teachers for Tennessee fund with a $1 million commitment to teacher intern scholarships. They additionally issued a challenge to other successful Tennesseans to use the Teachers for Tennessee fund either for gifts to support teachers or as an example to establish other endowments.
David Bailey graduated from UT’s College of Business in 1950 and has achieved success through various entrepreneurial ventures. Jane Bailey is an alumna of the former College of Home Economics.