In October 2008 the board of trustees formally adopted the recommendation of the College of Business to name the new building on the site of the former Glocker Business Administration Building for James A. Haslam II, rather than retaining the original name. The facade of the original building was retained, and the Glocker Wing of the building honored Theodore Glocker.
The original Glocker Building, the first on-campus building designed for instruction in the College of Business, was dedicated October 17, 1952. It was a 92,279-square-foot facility named for the first head of business programs (the School of Commerce), Dr. Theodore Glocker. The architectural firm for the Glocker Building was Bealer and Wilhoite, and the cost was $749,000. J. M. Dunn and Sons was the contractor. Eleven residences already owned by UT were razed for construction of the building. A large portrait of Glocker, who retired as dean in fall 1951, was unveiled at a luncheon on the day of the dedication. The dedication itself took place on the lawn of the Faculty Club, which was then across the street from the building. Governor Gordon Browning spoke, and the Pride of the Southland Band played. The building was air-conditioned in 1964.
The Glocker Building’s auditorium was named in 1975 by the board of trustees for Dr. Frank B. Ward, who joined the university faculty in 1929 and was head of the Department of Economics until he was appointed dean in 1951. He continued as dean until his retirement in 1964.
Following the fall 2005 semester, the building was taken out of service to expand it and make it appropriate for twenty-first century instruction in business disciplines. On March 2, 2007, faculty, students, staff, legislators, and alumni signed a beam, which was then hoisted into place as the “topping out” ceremony for the new facility. The renovation and expansion cost $46 million, and was funded with state and private dollars. The Haslam Building is a six-floor, 174,000-square-foot structure that, when completed, had 34 classrooms, more than 50 offices for staff and administration, 35 team and presentation rooms, a technology center, an investment center, and an atrium with a glass elevator.
A grand opening celebration was held on Tuesday, January 6, 2009, during which Business Dean Jan Williams and other dignitaries cut a multistory orange ribbon to signify the building’s completion. Spring semester 2009 classes were held in the building the next day, January 7.
Architects for the project were Knoxville firms of Weeks Ambrose McDonald Inc. and Ross/Fowler, PC. The contractor was Rouse Engineering.