East Tennessee College

The Tennessee legislature passed an act on December 3, 1807, accepting the proposal of Blount College Trustees that the college assets become those of a new East Tennessee College, which would receive proceeds from the sale of the one hundred thousand acres as provided for in the Compact of 1806. The charter of the new college did not contain the provision of the 1794 charter requiring that the institution be nonsectarian. The thirty new trustees of East Tennessee College met in 1808, retained Rev. Carrick as president, and authorized him to continue to operate the institution under Blount College regulations. The institution continued to operate as Blount College and did not officially open as East Tennessee College until 1809. The student body of the 1807 rechartered college did not include women.

Citation Information

The following information is provided for citations.

  • Title East Tennessee College
  • Author
  • Keywords East Tennessee College
  • Website Name Volopedia
  • Publisher University of Tennessee Libraries
  • URL
  • Access Date May 27, 2022
  • Original Published Date
  • Date of Last Update October 7, 2018