Names of the University of Tennessee

Names of the institution have included the following: Blount College, 1794–1807; East Tennessee College, 1807–40 (a rechartering); East Tennessee University, 1840–79; and the University of Tennessee, 1879–present. In 1968 the UT Board of Trustees reorganized the university into a statewide “system” with primary campuses in Knoxville, Martin, Chattanooga, Nashville, and Memphis (Medical Units). A chancellor headed each primary campus. The name given by the board to the primary campus in Knoxville was the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. In 1999 the university was again reorganized, with the Knoxville campus, the Agricultural Institute, the Institute for Public Service, the Space Institute, and the Memphis Medical Units being considered one university—the University of Tennessee. The Chattanooga and Martin institutions, continuing to be headed by chancellors, were renamed the University of Tennessee, Chattanooga and the University of Tennessee, Martin, respectively.

Citation Information

The following information is provided for citations.

  • Title Names of the University of Tennessee
  • Author
  • Keywords Names of the University of Tennessee
  • Website Name Volopedia
  • Publisher University of Tennessee Libraries
  • URL
  • Access Date October 25, 2021
  • Original Published Date
  • Date of Last Update October 9, 2018