Blount College

The university was chartered as Blount College on September 10, 1794, the 15th day of the first Assembly of the Territory of the United States South of the River Ohio, meeting at the call of Governor of the Territory William Blount. UT’s charter was issued at Blount Mansion, the home of the governor, which still stands and is located on Hill Avenue in downtown Knoxville. The college met at the home of its president, Dr. Samuel Carrick, until the building on Gay Street was completed in 1799. Blount College ceased to exist on December 3, 1807, with passage of an act by the legislature incorporating its assets into the newly established East Tennessee College, which would receive proceeds from the sale of federal lands under the Compact of 1806.

Citation Information

The following information is provided for citations.

  • Title Blount College
  • Author
  • Keywords Blount College
  • Website Name Volopedia
  • Publisher University of Tennessee Libraries
  • URL
  • Access Date January 17, 2022
  • Original Published Date
  • Date of Last Update October 4, 2018