4-H Centers—William P. Ridley

Serving the central Tennessee area, the William P. Ridley 4-H Center is located in Columbia on 49 acres that was originally a UT farm. In 1917, when the farm relocated to Spring Hill and became known as the Middle Tennessee Experiment Station (now Research and Education Center), William P. Ridley, world famous farmer, agricultural leader, and an encourager of 4-H and Extension, was instrumental in having UT retain the land and use it for a 4-H camp and youth activities. The first camp, led by S. G. Abernathy, was held there in 1923 for Boys’ and Girls’ Club workers. The camp can comfortably accommodate up to four hundred people.

Citation Information

The following information is provided for citations.

  • Title 4-H Centers—William P. Ridley
  • Author
  • Keywords 4-H Centers—William P. Ridley
  • Website Name Volopedia
  • Publisher University of Tennessee Libraries
  • URL
  • Access Date April 21, 2024
  • Original Published Date
  • Date of Last Update November 4, 2018