4-H Centers—Clyde M. York

Named for former Commissioner of Agriculture, UT Trustee, and UT Alumnus Clyde York, the camp includes 34 acres provided by the Federal Government to the university by quitclaim deed in 1948 as surplus property. During World War II, a
+194-acre tract was called Camp Crossville and was used as a prisoner of war camp for the internment of 1,371 German officers and slightly fewer Italian officers.

Citation Information

The following information is provided for citations.

  • Title 4-H Centers—Clyde M. York
  • Author
  • Keywords 4-H Centers—Clyde M. York
  • Website Name Volopedia
  • Publisher University of Tennessee Libraries
  • URL
  • Access Date April 21, 2024
  • Original Published Date
  • Date of Last Update November 4, 2018