The name of all women’s intercollegiate athletic teams was established as Lady Vols in 1976 by newly appointed Director of Women’s Athletics Gloria Ray. Previously, when the sports club program was coordinated by the Women’s Physical Education Department, the teams had generally been referred to as Volettes. In November 2014 the Athletics Department announced that beginning in July 2015 all intercollegiate teams other than women’s basketball would be “Tennessee” teams but that women’s intercollegiate basketball would remain designated as the “Lady Vols.”
Recent NewsMore News
- Henry Luce Foundation Grant to Fund Programs Highlighting Beauford Delaney Papers
- Writing Blitz, March 29
- Do you know where your next meal is coming from?
- A Conversation with Appalachian Filmmakers
- Early Printed Bibles on View during Shakespeare Symposium
- Accessible to All — Resources to Learn More About Disabilities
- Financial Hardship and Food Insecurity on Campus: Panel Discussion, March 9
- Share Your UT Libraries Love Story!
Upcoming EventsMore Events
Barbara Dombrowski - “Tropic Ice” Exhibit, Screening and Lecture at Hodges LibraryMar. 28 at 4pmJohn C Hodges Library - 2nd floor, Main Gallery
Should we be alarmed? Chatbots, AI, and the HumanitiesMar. 28 at 7pm
Open Sandbox Workshop SeriesMar. 29 at 1pmJohn C Hodges Library - 253 - eXperience Point Lab