First Electric Lights

Electrification of the campus began in the summer of 1889 and was completed for the 1889–90 school year. The lights were powered by a dynamo located in the Mechanical Building. Gas lighting had been installed in 1875-76 and was discontinued in 1884.

Citation Information

The following information is provided for citations.

  • Title First Electric Lights
  • Author
  • Keywords First Electric Lights
  • Website Name Volopedia
  • Publisher University of Tennessee Libraries
  • URL
  • Access Date May 25, 2024
  • Original Published Date
  • Date of Last Update October 7, 2018