This structure was completed in 1842 as a professor’s house, the Allison House. In 1871 the trustees leased the East Dwelling House to A. K. Foster (and the West Dwelling House to M. W. Janney) with the understanding that students would be provided with “wholesome fare” at a cost of $2 per week. Foster and Janney were also to furnish lodging, fuel, and lights to as many students as could be accommodated at $3 per month. The university paid Janney and Foster eighty-three-and-one-half cents per month for each student boarded.
In 1874 the East Dwelling House was greatly enlarged, with the basement being converted into a chemical laboratory, and the upper floors being dormitory floors to house 96 students. The enlarged facility was named North College. It was enlarged again and renamed Humes Hall in 1896. Humes Hall was razed in 1950.