West Dwelling House

This structure was completed in 1842 as a professor’s house. In 1871 the trustees leased the East Dwelling House to A. K. Foster and the West Dwelling House to M. W. Janney with the understanding that students would be provided with “wholesome fare” at a cost of $2 per week. Foster and Janney were also to furnish “lodging, fuel, and lights” to as many students as could be accommodated at $3 per month. The university paid Janney and Foster 83 and 1/2 cents per month for each student boarded. The West Dwelling House was known as the Janney Building after 1871. It was razed in 1908.

Citation Information

The following information is provided for citations.

  • Title West Dwelling House
  • Author
  • Keywords West Dwelling House
  • Website Name Volopedia
  • Publisher University of Tennessee Libraries
  • URL
  • Access Date August 11, 2026
  • Original Published Date
  • Date of Last Update October 20, 2018