West College was an 1842 three-story structure built as a dormitory along with East College at a combined cost of approximately $21,000. The contractor was Thomas Crutchfield, who had also built Old College. The Students’ Handbook of 1889–90 refers to it as “A” Building. In 1909 West College was remodeled into an armory. The first floor then held a locker room for each of the three companies and tables for cleaning the arms. On the second floor were the officers’ quarters and the arsenal. The third floor housed a large room for the band and a short range gallery for shooting purposes. West College, East College, and the 1828 Old College were razed in 1919 for the construction of Ayres Hall.
Recent News
More News- Libraries Co-Hosts ‘Great Expectations in Healthcare’ Nursing Conference for K-12 Students
- Jazz Pianist and Composer Donald Brown Premieres New Work Inspired by Libraries' Archives, March 26
- Survey Helps Libraries Improve Services
- Black History Month Exhibit
- Knoxville’s Largest Little Library
- A Library Love Story
- Libraries Celebrates 14th Year of Big Orange STEM Saturday
- UT Libraries Receives LEAD Award
Upcoming Events
More Events-
Of Monkeys and Men: The Scopes Trial Exhibit and Research Guide
-
Of Monkeys and Men: The Scopes Trial Exhibit and Research Guide
-
Of Monkeys and Men: The Scopes Trial Exhibit and Research Guide