Wait’s Office/Lab Sealed

In 1940 three faculty members in the Chemistry Department discovered and reopened the office/lab of Dr. Charles Wait, which had been permanently sealed upon his death in 1923. Wait was a quiet person who chose for his office/lab one of the most inaccessible rooms in Science Hall, reachable only by walking through two long laboratories. When the instructors opened the office, it was just as he had left it, including photographs of students performing experiments (notably Harriet Greve, who was dean of women when the room was unsealed) and the specialized apparatuses (including his calorimeter) used in his experiments to determine the carbohydrate, fat, and protein value of food as diverse as beans and beefsteak.

Citation Information

The following information is provided for citations.

  • Title Wait’s Office/Lab Sealed
  • Author
  • Keywords Wait’s Office/Lab Sealed
  • Website Name Volopedia
  • Publisher University of Tennessee Libraries
  • URL
  • Access Date October 25, 2021
  • Original Published Date
  • Date of Last Update October 20, 2018