Wait Field

From 1909 through 1920, UT played football on Wait Field, the site of the present Walters Life Sciences Building. Prior to 1909 Tennessee football was based at Knoxville’s Baldwin Park, located between Dale Avenue and Grand Avenue, near Western Avenue. The new field was first called University Field and was then named for Professor Charles Wait, professor of chemistry and metallurgy, who had been a longtime proponent of college athletics. The field was just the length and width of a standard gridiron.

Citation Information

The following information is provided for citations.

  • Title Wait Field
  • Author
  • Keywords Wait Field
  • Website Name Volopedia
  • Publisher University of Tennessee Libraries
  • URL
  • Access Date October 25, 2021
  • Original Published Date
  • Date of Last Update October 20, 2018