From 1909 through 1920, UT played football on Wait Field, the site of the present Walters Life Sciences Building. Prior to 1909 Tennessee football was based at Knoxville’s Baldwin Park, located between Dale Avenue and Grand Avenue, near Western Avenue. The new field was first called University Field and was then named for Professor Charles Wait, professor of chemistry and metallurgy, who had been a longtime proponent of college athletics. The field was just the length and width of a standard gridiron.
Recent NewsMore News
- Pendergrass Library Closed Beginning May 23
- Students and UT Libraries Award Faculty for Using Open Educational Resources
- Neurodiversity: Panel Discussion, May 5
- Digitization Project to Preserve Senate Recordings from the 1950s and ’60s
- UT Libraries and The Wall Street Journal Partner to Bring Sponsored Memberships to Campus
- For Your Reference: Final Episode of Second Season Airing April 21
- Lecture and Book Signing: Modern Appalachian Topography
- History and Academic Mentorship - For Your Reference streams March 17 at 7:00 p.m.