The University Department was organized in 1841 to permit a broader opportunity for students to study nonclassical disciplines. This new course was further revised in 1844 and renamed the English Department and then the English and Scientific Department. In this division, the institution trained its first public school teachers. Students who completed instruction in this area were not awarded degrees; only those completing work in the Collegiate Department were eligible to receive degrees.