The University Club was the Faculty Club until 1996, when membership was opened to all employees of the university and, later, to all alumni. The Faculty Club moved to the site at the corner of Neyland Drive and Kingston Pike (its third location) in December 1967. The structure was built in 1935 (Baumann and Baumann was the architectural firm) as the private residence of Mitchell Long, Knoxville lawyer. Acquired in 1953 by Eunice Meredith Miller, an interior decorator, the first floor was converted into a business office, and the upstairs housed apartments. East and west wings and the patio were added during the period the residence was owned by Miller and known as Meredith Hall.
The house and property was donated to UT by Walker Graham, who reserved an interest in the front part of the property upon which to build an apartment building (the option was donated to UT by Bill Mullins and his partners in 1979). The residence was extensively renovated, in a $129,000 project in the summer of 1967, which included expansion of the kitchen, addition of a swimming pool, bathhouse, tennis courts, and a boat dock. The new Faculty Club opened on December 1, 1967.
Expansion of the University Club was begun in 1998 and completed in 1999, with funds coming partially from the proceeds of the sale of the chancellor’s residence and the rest consisting of bonds to be retired by the club. A committee composed of Vice Chancellor Phil Scheurer (chair), Dr. Joseph Trahern (acting vice chancellor for academic affairs), Mr. Hardy Liston (associate vice chancellor for academic affairs), and Dr. Michael Shires (dean of veterinary medicine) planned the renovation and addition. The University Club closed in June 2006, and the property was used as the UT Welcome Center.