In spring 1951 UT installed its first telephone switchboard (Private Branch Exchange) in the new addition to the Austin Peay Building to eliminate direct private telephone lines for the various departments. All offices, including those on the agricultural campus, other than men’s and women’s athletics and the Athletics Association were routed through the PBX system. The switchboard was operated 16 hours a day.