In spring 1935 the Athletics Council voted to install a sound amplifying system at Shields-Watkins Field. The system was a 150-watt station, and the loud speakers with the amplifying set were installed over the scoreboard on the north end of the field, facing both the east and west. Ross Haun was awarded the contract to provide and install the system. The controls for the system were located in Alumni Memorial Building.