Oak Ridge Resident Graduate Program

In 1945 UT began offering undergraduate classes at Oak Ridge through the University Extension Division and graduate classes through the regular departmental structure. By 1946 five hundred fifty-two students (400 undergraduate and 152 graduate students) were taking courses. Courses were taught by UT faculty, who commuted to Oak Ridge. Initially, the courses were geared to people already living in Oak Ridge. Later, other students were able to apply and to benefit from research opportunities at ORNL as well as the classroom instruction. UT purchased apartment buildings for housing of students and their families, which were sold in the 1980s. This program was distinct from UT’s participation in the Oak Ridge Institute for Nuclear Studies (later, Oak Ridge Associated Universities).

Citation Information

The following information is provided for citations.

  • Title Oak Ridge Resident Graduate Program
  • Author
  • Keywords Oak Ridge Resident Graduate Program
  • Website Name Volopedia
  • Publisher University of Tennessee Libraries
  • URL
  • Access Date September 27, 2022
  • Original Published Date
  • Date of Last Update October 10, 2018