In 1943 Oak Ridge was created as the residential center for the Clinton Engineering Works. Located on the northeast corner of a 59,000-acre reservation acquired by the federal government in 1942, the community was designed by architects Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. In 1945 Oak Ridge reached a peak population of seventy-five thousand. On January 1, 1947, the Atomic Energy Commission assumed control of the community. In 1959 Oak Ridge became an incorporated municipality.
Recent News
More News- Libraries Co-Hosts ‘Great Expectations in Healthcare’ Nursing Conference for K-12 Students
- Jazz Pianist and Composer Donald Brown Premieres New Work Inspired by Libraries' Archives, March 26
- Survey Helps Libraries Improve Services
- Black History Month Exhibit
- Knoxville’s Largest Little Library
- A Library Love Story
- Libraries Celebrates 14th Year of Big Orange STEM Saturday
- UT Libraries Receives LEAD Award
Upcoming Events
More Events-
Of Monkeys and Men: The Scopes Trial Exhibit and Research Guide
-
Of Monkeys and Men: The Scopes Trial Exhibit and Research Guide
-
Of Monkeys and Men: The Scopes Trial Exhibit and Research Guide