Neyland Stadium—Armory Addition (Section X)

Harry S. Berry (UT trustee and state Works Progress Administration head) announced in November 1935 that WPA funds had been approved for construction of an armory at UT, which was to be combined into Neyland Stadium, adding approximately three thousand permanent seats to replace wooden bleachers on the west side of the stadium. (Section X seating is approximately eighteen hundred.)

Underneath the stands, the new home of ROTC (most recently located in Reese Hall) was created. A large lobby, used as a “runway” by students carrying their rifles was at the front of the building, with the target range located at the rear of the first floor. The gun room, also on the first floor, provided space for seven hundred rifles. On the second floor were spacious official headquarters including offices for officers and conference space, two large classrooms, and a locker room. The third floor contained the Infantry Office, the Engineers Office, and two classrooms. The Military Department moved into its new quarters in fall 1937.

Citation Information

The following information is provided for citations.

  • Title Neyland Stadium—Armory Addition (Section X)
  • Author
  • Keywords Neyland Stadium—Armory Addition (Section X)
  • Website Name Volopedia
  • Publisher University of Tennessee Libraries
  • URL
  • Access Date July 13, 2024
  • Original Published Date
  • Date of Last Update October 9, 2018