McCord Hall

Named for Jim Nance McCord (1879–1968), who served as governor of Tennessee from 1945 to 1949, the principal structure of the two-facility dairy unit was completed in 1949 at a cost of $600,000. The four-story building was designed by Barber and McMurry, and the general contractor was A. R. McMurry. The accompanying Dairy Manufacturing Building (the Creamery) was also substantially complete in 1949, at a cost of $435,000. Governor McCord, during whose administration UT received two state building grants that allowed construction of eight buildings, spoke at the November 4 dedication, held on homecoming weekend. McCord Hall initially housed personnel from the Dairy and Poultry Departments, as well as some staff members in animal husbandry and food technology.

Citation Information

The following information is provided for citations.

  • Title McCord Hall
  • Author
  • Keywords McCord Hall
  • Website Name Volopedia
  • Publisher University of Tennessee Libraries
  • URL
  • Access Date September 27, 2022
  • Original Published Date
  • Date of Last Update October 9, 2018