Interfraternity Council

The Interfraternity Council traces its roots to 1902, when the interfraternity men’s organization of Pan-Hellenic was formed. This first effort fell apart after a few years and was reorganized on a permanent basis in 1915. On December 8, 1930, members of the Pan-Hellenic Council voted unanimously to change the name of the group to Inter-Fraternity Council to avoid confusion with the sororities’ Panhellenic Council.

In 1940 the name was changed to Fraternity Relations Board, composed of the president and one additional representative from each fraternity, and in 1957 the Interfraternity Council replaced the Fraternity Relations Board. The Interfraternity Council serves as the governing body of fraternities on the UT campus. It governs rushing and pledging, and publishes an IFC rush booklet. The IFC also sponsors Greek Week. In 1959–60 the IFC took on a campus-wide project to assist the UT administration in establishing an International House for foreign students on the UT campus.

The IFC establishes policies and standards for participating fraternities. In April 2014 the IFC raised the GPA standard for fraternities from 2.3 to 2.7.

Citation Information

The following information is provided for citations.

  • Title Interfraternity Council
  • Author
  • Keywords Interfraternity Council
  • Website Name Volopedia
  • Publisher University of Tennessee Libraries
  • URL
  • Access Date January 30, 2023
  • Original Published Date
  • Date of Last Update October 8, 2018