Hampden-Sydney Academy Consolidations

In 1820 East Tennessee College reopened its doors after having been closed since the death of President Carrick in 1809 as the result of a temporary consolidation with Hampden-Sydney Academy, which had begun operation in 1817. Rev. David Sherman headed both institutions, which were housed in the original Blount College Building. The college had 19 or 20 students enrolled. Thirty students were enrolled in 1821. The trustees dissolved the union with Hampden-Sydney on October 7, 1826. East Tennessee University and Hampden-Sydney Academy entered into a brief second consolidation from spring through the fall term 1866 because of the condition of university buildings following the Civil War.

Citation Information

The following information is provided for citations.

  • Title Hampden-Sydney Academy Consolidations
  • Author
  • Keywords Hampden-Sydney Academy Consolidations
  • Website Name Volopedia
  • Publisher University of Tennessee Libraries
  • URL
  • Access Date October 25, 2021
  • Original Published Date
  • Date of Last Update October 8, 2018