Florence L. MacLeod

1896–1987

Dr. MacLeod earned the BS (1919) from Simmons College in Boston and the MS (1921) and PhD (1924) from Columbia University. She joined the faculty of the university’s College of Home Economics (later Human Ecology and now within the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences) in 1931. When the Department of Nutrition was established in 1936, she was named head, a post she held until she retired in 1962. She also served as assistant director of the Agricultural Experiment Station, in charge of all home economics research. She was the author of more than 25 articles on vitamins and minerals in major professional journals, and was, for 10 years, chairwoman of the Southern Regional Nutrition Committee. She was a charter member of the American Institute of Nutrition. Her intellectual contributions to the life of the university have been recognized by placement of a plaque in her honor on a faculty study.

Citation Information

The following information is provided for citations.

  • Title Florence L. MacLeod
  • Coverage 1896–1987
  • Author
  • Keywords Florence L. MacLeod
  • Website Name Volopedia
  • Publisher University of Tennessee Libraries
  • URL
  • Access Date October 25, 2021
  • Original Published Date
  • Date of Last Update October 9, 2018