Flag of the University

The UT Board of Trustees approved the official flag of the university in June 1969 during 175th anniversary activities. The flag was first flown on all campuses on Charter Day (September 10) 1969. The UT flag has three bars—orange, white, and orange—representing the three geographical divisions of Tennessee and symbolizing UT’s responsibilities as Tennessee’s State University and land-grant institution. In the center of the white bar is a flaming torch, symbol of learning and service. Circling the torch are the words The University of Tennessee and the founding date of 1794. The institutional name and founding date are separated by representations of the branches of the victory wreath held by the Volunteer Statue.

The Publications Service Bureau of the university was commissioned to design the official flag. Artist (and UT alumnus) Ted Williams prepared five proposed designs. In June 1969 the board of trustees chose the existing design from among those submitted.

In spring 1941 the All Students’ Club had conducted a contest for a university flag and offered a prize of $25. (Judges of the contest were UT President James D. Hoskins; Charles Barber, architect; and Bascom Williamson, president of the All Students’ Club. The board of trustees, however, adopted no design.)

Citation Information

The following information is provided for citations.

  • Title Flag of the University
  • Author
  • Keywords Flag of the University
  • Website Name Volopedia
  • Publisher University of Tennessee Libraries
  • URL
  • Access Date June 17, 2024
  • Original Published Date
  • Date of Last Update October 8, 2018