Earth and Planetary Sciences Department

The Earth and Planetary Sciences Department is the evolution of the Department of Geology and Mineralogy, which was established in 1907. Geography was added to the department in the 1920s. The department awarded its first graduate degree (the MS) to Berlin C. Moneymaker in 1929. The Department of Geology and Geography was separated into its two constituent departments in 1967, and the department’s name was changed from Geology to Geological Sciences in 1972. In 2003 the department’s name was again changed to Earth and Planetary Sciences.

Citation Information

The following information is provided for citations.

  • Title Earth and Planetary Sciences Department
  • Author
  • Keywords Earth and Planetary Sciences Department
  • Website Name Volopedia
  • Publisher University of Tennessee Libraries
  • URL
  • Access Date October 25, 2021
  • Original Published Date
  • Date of Last Update October 7, 2018