In 1923 UT Athletic Director M. B. Banks, botany professor (later, dean of liberal arts) L. R. Hesler, and Professor O. N. Smith began conducting a boys’ camp at Calderwood, Tennessee, in the Smoky Mountains. The camp was dedicated to the “physical development of the boy.” Tennis, basketball, track, volleyball, baseball, and football were offered. While the camp specifically indicated in its literature that it was not a summer school that offered intensive tutoring, those that were desirous of aid in their schoolwork could receive it. Hesler was in charge of the track program, and Banks was in charge of physical activities. For some years, varsity UT athletes served as counselors at the camp.
Recent NewsMore News
- Pendergrass Library reopens July 26
- And the winner is...UT Libraries!
- UT Press Wins Book Awards
- Olivia Kelley Recognized for Extraordinary Customer Service Award
- This Year's Scholarship Winner
- Apply Now: UT Funding to Make Your Monograph Open Access
- Pendergrass Closed for Sprinkler Installation Starting May 12
- Partial Closure of Joe Johnson Drive