Baptist Collegiate Ministry

An organization of Baptist students was formed at UT in 1933, along the lines of the Baptist Student Union (founded in 1921). In fall 1935 the Tennessee Chapter of the Baptist Student Union was established and supported by the State Mission Board of Tennessee.

The Baptist Student Union Building at 1637 W. Cumberland Avenue was purchased in 1942. In May 1961 the BSU purchased (for $50,000) the Robert L. Ashe home at 1811 Melrose for the new Baptist Student Union center. The new center was dedicated Sunday, November 18, 1962. (Mr. and Mrs. Ashe were the parents of Ambassador [and Knoxville Mayor] Victor Ashe.) In December 2003 the name of the organization was changed to Baptist Collegiate Ministry.

Citation Information

The following information is provided for citations.

  • Title Baptist Collegiate Ministry
  • Author
  • Keywords Baptist Collegiate Ministry
  • Website Name Volopedia
  • Publisher University of Tennessee Libraries
  • URL
  • Access Date May 25, 2024
  • Original Published Date
  • Date of Last Update October 3, 2018